1. Gagosian Shop, NY / Jeff Koons: A Retrospective, The Whitney Museum of Art, NY
2. The Apartment by The Line, NY (See more here)
3. EVERLANE Sweater, LINDA FARROW Sunglasses, ADIDAS Sneakers, MANSUR GAVRIEL Bag / Acne Studios, NY
4. Soho, NY
5. LARSSON & JENNINGS Watch, MIRLO Baguette Ring and Andy Heart Ring, ADIDAS Sneakers / Venice Beach, CA
6. GANNI Sweater / J BRAND Jeans / MANSUR GAVRIEL Backpack, Heart Coffee Roasters, Portland, OR
7. Cinespia at Hollywood Forever Cemetery / Garry Winogrand at The Met, NY
8. GABRIELA ARTIGAS Tusk choker / BINCHOTAN Facial puff, MASON PEARSON Brush
9. EVERLANE Sweater, LINDA FARROW Sunglasses, ADIDAS Sneakers, MANSUR GAVRIEL Bag / Garry Winogrand at The Met, NY
10. MAYA BRENNER Earrings / My latest styling project with Banana Republic
11. Multnomah Falls, Portland, OR (Photo taken with Moment Lens) / MOMENT LENS Tele and Wide
Last week I sat down to interview sisters Gabriela and Teresita Artigas; one of my favorite Los Angeles based jewelry lines Gabriela Artigas. I also got a sneak peek at their new Autumn/Winter 2014 collection (3rd Image) coming soon.
When and why did you decide to start to create Gabriela Artigas?
Everything started unplanned, Gabriela was 21 leaving in Mexico City when my mom needed a necklace for a wedding. She didn't wanted to wear her usual jewels because the city wasn't at it's safest. We bought some gems and Gabriela made our mom her first coral and silver necklace. They both came to LA for a little holiday and a recognized buyer bought that same necklace for my mom's neck, and we knew something was about to start.
Tere has always been a sales pro, she would sell everything to her friends, even my clothing when I was away. She enjoys the experience and the thrill to sell, that's why we make a great team and started running the company together since 2008.
How would you describe your own personal style?
It's hard to describe one's personal style or point out one characteristic, I just love to be well dressed.
What was the first piece of jewelry you ever made? How have your designs evolved?
The first piece was a toothbrush cuff and the designs evolved as we did too. We grew together because you start figuring things out, understanding how materials work and how you can make things better.
Are there certain materials you gravitate toward?
What’s your most treasured piece of Jewelry?
It's hard to say because I treasure every single piece we have made.
Where do you get your inspiration?
Architecture, contrast of textures and colors, lines, symmetry. The line has pieces that range from delicate and feminine to bold and forceful. We consider that every one has these emotions and wanted to represent them through our jewelry.
Shop Gabriela Artigas
1. Eames House, Case Study No. 8 / LARSSON & JENNINGS Watch, BIRKENSTOCK Sandals
2. Gabriela Artigas / ACNE Leather Jacket (Similar here)
3. Perch / Ace Hotel
4. New Acne Studios Eastern Columbia Building, Downtown Los Angeles
5. Muji, Hollywood, CA / Morning run
6. LARSSON & JENNINGS Watch / PAIGE Jeans, MANSUR GAVRIEL Bag, NIKE Sneakers
7. Levitated Mass @LACMA / GABRIELA ARTIGAS Choker, EQUIPMENT Sweater